Friday, February 12, 2016

One down, one to go

I had my first cataract surgery on February 3rd.  An AcrySof IQ ReSTOR +2.5 D IOL now replaces my body's natural lens, which was first removed by a process known as phacoemulsification.  



Eight days on I have excellent distance and intermediate vision in my right eye, which is the primary objective of the +2.5 D lens.  I am told that near vision will continue to change and improve over time but for now reading is difficult, although a little better in very bright light.  The game plan is to use a +3.0 D lens in my left eye which will afford good distance coupled with more powerful near vision.  Intermediate vision in the +3.0 lens may not be as strong as the +2.5 D but the combined effect should yield the best overall balance when using both eyes.  At least that's the plan!

I'm currently evaluating whether or not to participate in a phase 3 investigational drug study for my second surgery.  The new drug (IBI-10090) is a sustained-release product designed to reduce the number and frequency of post-operative eye drops.  My second surgery is scheduled for later this month.

2 comments:

  1. I have worked in the medical community for more than two decades, so the video did not freak me out, as it would most others. I know that decisions about eye surgeries are difficult to make when one considers the negative possibilities, but, when you consider the positive changes that are possible, I think (for me anyway) it is a no brainer. All that said, you and your surgical team will be in my prayers! Kay

    ReplyDelete