Thursday, May 14, 2015

More tiring!

I was pretty ticked off last weekend when we were staying at Asheville West KOA to find that one of my brand new tires was flat as a pancake!

For the second time this trip I had to call Good Sam Roadside Assistance - they put on the spare and pointed out that the flat had been caused by a bad valve stem, even though it was new - bad fitting I suppose.

So after our visit to Mt. Pisgah we came back to Asheville a couple of days ago to have Discount Tires check the tire, fit a replacement valve stem, and verify all the others were OK.

2 comments:

  1. When I have new tires fitted, I do a walk around with my hand, and "flick" the stems on the new tires; about 2 our of 4 times I get a quick "hiss" and then I tell the flunky at the tire store replace the stem. I learned this "test" from my watchmaking buddy who used to work for Mercedes as a level III technician. Works every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, but it's almost impossible to reach valve stems on duallies.

      It was an inner duallie that had the bad stem - probably because they had stressed it when installing the braided extender

      Delete