Saturday, January 17, 2015

Toys

With thoughts in mind of a February departure I finally got around to installing the Ultra-Gauge I treated myself to as an early Christmas present.  

I'm still in the process of playing around with display options - there are just so many gauge options to choose from (more than seventy), and these can be displayed 4, 6, or 8 to a page, on each of seven pages.  Pages can be configured to advance automatically to the next page after a configurable time interval.   

My primary area of interest is the ability to better monitor fuel consumption.  One of the key gauges to display is instantaneous real-time MPG, which should help me refine my already conservative driving habits.  Other useful gauges in this area include trip average MPG, Distance To Empty (DTE) and Time To Empty (TTE).

With the upcoming trip starting to loom large, so does the thought of any number of interesting hikes, which takes me to my next new toy - a Suunto Core Blue Crush.  

In 2014 this was rated as one of the top five watches for hiking, and provides altimeter, barometer, and compass capabilities along with various time and data logging functions.

A couple of hours with the user manual this morning and I've nearly got it all figured out!!!!



3 comments:

  1. Neat watch! Does it compensate for true verses magnetic north?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can set a declination value.

      You can also turn off declination for when you are using orienteering maps which are drawn in relation to magnetic north.

      Delete
  2. That is really cool! I was hoping to give you a watch for your big trip, now I have to find another gift to give you!

    ReplyDelete